SPA REJUVENATION & WELLNESS
The Himalayan Mountains have been known to restore the mind-body balance. Serving as an ideal retreat for tired minds and exhausted bodies, the cool mountain environs offer a respite from the stress of city life. The invigorating mountain air and quiet beauty of the green mountains work as a restorative balm and rejuvenate tired senses. Of late, many spas and wellness centers have mushroomed in and around Kathmandu and Pokhara offering traditional as well as western massage and wellness therapies. A visit to these spas promises the ‘four Rs’ of healthy living - Relaxation, Rejuvenation, Renewal and Revitalization.
With state-of-the-art facilities, these spas are equipped with sauna rooms, infinity pools and offer a wide selection of Ayurvedic, Newari, Swedish and Thai massages, hydro-therapy and reflexology therapy. Pamper your body with a massage or a body polish. Boost your immune system and relax your nerves with a reflexology therapy. Beautify the most neglected part of your body - your hands and feet, with a manicure and pedicure. Add some shine to your locks with a hair treatment and brighten up your face with a facial. Get a makeover and surprise your spouse (in a pleasant way!). In short, spend some time rejuvenating and getting pampered.
Listed below are some of the popular services offered by the spas.
1. Shirodhara Therapy: An ancient Ayurvedic therapy which involves a continuous trickle of oil on the forehead while the pressure points are massaged with essential oils. The Shirodhara therapy enhances the body’s overall well-being by releasing toxins and strengthening the nervous system.
2. Hot Stone Massage: Hot Stone Massage involves massaging the body with smooth heated stones to improve blood circulation and relax tired muscles. This type of massage is beneficial for muscular ache, insomnia and joint pain.
3. Picu: An Ayurvedic massage which uses sesame oil on the joints and spinal cord. This massage improves mobility.
4. Reflexology: A foot massage that applies pressure on the reflex points connected to the vital organs. A reflexology session eliminates toxins, improves blood circulation and boosts the immune system.
5. Swedish & Thai Massage: Massages that use traditional strokes and hand movements to relieve stress and ease muscle tension.
6. Newari Malish: A traditional Newari massage that uses natural oil and gentle kneading movements to ease muscle tension.
7. Shirobhayanga: An Ayurvedic head-massage that strengthens the central nervous system and relieves stress. Beneficial for those suffering from frequent headaches and migraines.
8. Body Polish: A total body detoxifying and exfoliating routine using coffee, aloe vera, berries, fruits, oatmeal, honey, clay, sea salt and essential oils. A ‘body polish’ session will leave you with a glowing and buffed body/skin.
Most spas also offer yoga and reiki sessions and salon treatments. Hair & Beauty treatments include facials, manicure, pedicure, hair-colouring, waxing, threading, hair-styling etc.
Spas & Wellness Centers in Kathmandu & Pokhara:
Kathmandu: Tranquility Spa, Spa Prana, Harmony Spa, Midas Spa, Seeing Hands, Mandala Studio, Ayurveda Health Home, Namaste Spa.
Pokhara: Spa Avatar & Ananda Health Farm at Fulbari Resort, Himalayan Nature Spa, Tranquility Spa, Temple Tree Resort’s Spa.